|Voice Actress||Meagan Glaser|
|Age||Unknown but looks 15-16 years old|
|Family||Shantae's mother (presumed dead), Mimic (possible adoptive uncle)|
|Abilities||Hair Whip (trademark move), Transformations, Magic|
|Likes||Her home (The Lighthouse), her friends|
|Dislikes||Risky Boots, pirates, evil|
|Allies||Mimic, Bolo, Sky, Wrench, Rottytops|
|Enemies||Risky Boots (archenemy), Tinkerbats|
During the events of the first game, Shantae is portrayed as young and somewhat naïve. In addition, her strong sense of justice drives her to help people in need. She chases Risky Boots across the map in order to stop her plans, and has a strong enmity for the Pirate as a result.
Slightly shy, Shantae is initially afraid of the citizens of Scuttle Town discovering her status as a Half-genie. In addition, she often puts herself down; believing that only being half-genie is not good enough. During the end of the game, she comes to terms with these anxieties, and is happy that the townsfolk still accept her.
Shantae has a deep care for her assumed uncle, Mimic, as well as her friends, and gives up on the chance to enjoy eternal peace in the Genie realm in order to be with them.As the Guardian Genie of Scuttle town, Shantae lives in the small snug lighthouse by the sea where she can spot incoming ships and trouble.
Shantae's Half-genie nature gives her several magic abilities.
- Hair Whip - Shantae's trademark move. Shantae can use her long purple ponytail hair as a weapon, cracking it like a whip by shaking her head. It was revealed in Shantae: Risky's Revenge that this skill is not a by-product of her genie half, as she is able to use this ability after her powers are removed. It's possibile that this skill is a product of her own magic not tied to her genie side, or may have come from her father.
- Magical Belly Dances - Shantae can use her ability to bellydance to cause various kinds of magical effects, most notably teleportation and transformation.
- Main article: Dances
- Transformation - Shantae can transform into many forms such as a monkey, elephant, spider, harpy, mermaid and Tinkerbat once she's learned the correct dance from a Guardian Genie or Magic Fountain.
- Main article: Forms
- Magic spells and magic items - Shantae can use various kinds of magic spells and items that are bought at shops. The magic properties of these items are apparently not tied to Shantae's genie powers, as she retains the ability to use them even after her powers are taken away in Risky's Revenge.
- Costumes - Shantae has different outfits she can wear that changes her stats and abilities.
- Main article: Costumes
- Despite not having many games, Shantae has quickly proven herself to be one of the most popular video game characters of all times.
- Shantae has the second longest hair out of any video game character in history, only beaten by SEGA character, Hatsune Miku from SEGA's 初音ミク -Project DIVA-.