Winking Entertainment Ltd. (唯晶科技) is a Taiwanese/Chinese video game development and art outsourcing company founded in 1997 as Winking Windthunder, switching names to Windthunder Era in 2000 and finally Winking Entertainment in 2003. The company is based in Shanghai, China. As an art outsourcing company, they have provided several clients, including WayForward Technologies, with concept arts and illustrations, notably on Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
The studio was originally founded as Winking Windthunder in Taipei, Taiwan, and they notably co-developed the game Guardian's Sword which was successful in continental China. In 2000, they switched names to Windthunder Era Corporation and produced their first important IP, Heroine Anthem. They changed names again in 2003, becoming Winking Entertainment Corporation, and established their headquarters in Shanghai in mainland China.
In 2005, the company started collaborating with Sega, creating their outsourcing business. By 2007, they were doing outsourcing jobs for American companies and were perceived as one of the most promising growing companies in Asia. In 2013, they released X.A.O.C. Online, an MMORPG which was somewhat successful in Eastern Asia. In 2014, Winking Entertainment entered the film and comic books industries, winning an Award for Best Short Film at the NYC Independent Film Festival.
The following list comes from Winking Entertainment's official website.
- Mad World (2001)
- Heroine Anthem: The Elect of Wassernixe (2002, PC)
- Heroine Anthem II: The Angel of Sarem (2003, PC)
- The Arabian Night Online (2005)
- Battle of Destiny Online (2007, PC)
- X.A.O.C. Online (2013, PC)
- Unearthing Mars (2016, PlayStation VR, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift)
- ↑ http://www.mobygames.com/game/3ds/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse/credits
- ↑ http://www.winkingworks.com/en/html/games/index.php